Saturday, March 29, 2025
Home Health Saudi Arabia Bars Nigerian Flights Over Omicron

Saudi Arabia Bars Nigerian Flights Over Omicron

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has suspended flights from Nigeria due to the the new Coronavirus variant, Omicron.

Earlier on Wednesday, there were unconfirmed reports that there were preparations for repatriating Nigerians in the Kingdom over Omicron.

However, several sources in the consulate of Saudi Arabia in Kano as well as officials at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport (MAKIA) confirmed to Daily Trust that there was an order to restrict flights from Nigeria over Omicron.

Since the Kingdom lifted the ban on Nigerian flights, many people, especially from Kano, have visited the country for lesser Hajj, while others are waiting for scheduled dates to visit.

But an official of the Saudi Consulate in Kano, who chose not to be named because he was not instructed to talk to the media, told Daily Trust on Wednesday that there was an order to restrict Nigerian flights in order to check the spread of Omicron in the Kingdom.

An official at the Kano Airport also confirmed to our reporter that already a circular had been issued that all lesser Hajj trips should be cancelled, due to the development.

“Yes it is true because a circular was issued that all Lesser Hajj flights should be canceled and there will be no more flights from Nigeria until further notice.

“I think they are following suit the decision of other countries like UK to prevent against having the virus in the kingdom,” the source told our correspondent under anonymity.

However, one of the top Airline Operators said he could not confirm the development as two flights, Qatar and Badar Air, left Abuja for Jeddah, on Wednesday morning.

The General Authority of Civil Aviation (GACA) in Saudi Arabia later confirmed the flight suspension in a circular to all airlines operating in the Kingdom.

Daily Trust reports that Nigeria currently has six confirmed cases of Omicron virus.

The Federal Government had rejected the ban imposed on Nigeria by UK and Canada over Omicron.

(Daily Trust)

RELATED ARTICLES

FG Converts Kumo General Hospital to Federal Medical Center

The Federal Government has taken over the General Hospital, Kumo, in Gombe State, converting it into a Federal Medical Centre. The newly established Kumo Federal...

Governor Yusuf Launches 2024 Maternal, Neonatal, and Child Health Week

Kano State Governor, Alhaji Abba Kabir Yusuf has officially inaugurated the first round of the 2024 Maternal, Neonatal, and Child Health Week (MNCHW). This was...

Suspended Yobe PHC Boss Admits Stealing Food Supplement For Malnourished Children

Director of Primary Health Care(PHC), in Nangere Local Government of Yobe, Mr Ibrahim Lawan, currently on suspension for diverting Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Food(RUTF), has...

Most Popular

FG Converts Kumo General Hospital to Federal Medical Center

The Federal Government has taken over the General Hospital, Kumo, in Gombe State, converting it into a Federal Medical Centre. The newly established Kumo Federal...

International Women’s Day: NUJ Gombe Celebrates Women Journalists

The Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Gombe State Council, has joined the global community to celebrate International Women's Day, a day set aside to...

Benefits of NWDC to North-West Region

By Ibrahim Sani Shawai The establishment of the North West Development Commission (NWDC) in a broader sense aims to support the region's...

Rivers Assembly Gives Fubara 48 Hours To Present 2025 Budget

The Rivers State House of Assembly has given Governor Sim Fubara 48 hours to present the 2025 budget to the lawmakers. They made this...

Recent Comments